Sunday, 6 November 2011

The 17 Day Diet, The Second Time Around

I am really not a fan of diets because I love cooking and eating.  But now that I joined a Biggest Loser contest along with my hubby and friends, I must put more effort in dieting and exercising.  I have tried South Beach diet, but all those salads make me gag and the recipes are expensive.  When I briefly tried the 17 day diet a few months ago, I lost 2 kilos in 2 weeks!  Unfortunately, I never made it through the next 3 cycles because I missed bread and pastries, especially  when I am stressed at the office. Fortunately I did not gain back the 2 kilos because I still limit my rice intake.

If you are interested to know more about this diet, check out this book by Dr. Mike Moreno:
The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results

I decided to do it again so that on our next weigh-in on November 20, I could weigh at least 2 kilos less.  Join me if you want to try this as well.  Let's start Cycle 1 - Accelerate.  As the name says, it will trigger a rapid weight loss by detoxing your body of fats and extra water (water retention is also a factor in being overweight).

These are the guidelines to follow in the first cycle:

* Do it for 17 days.  If you have reached your goal weight, you can happily skip the 2 cycles and go to Cycle 4: Arrive.  If you want to lose more, proceed to Cycle 2: Activate.

* Eat lean proteins, veggies, low sugar fruits and probiotic foods.  Avoid starchy foods. (No cranberry cheese bread for me.)

* Eat up to 2 eggs a day, no more than 4 egg yolks a week if you have high cholesterol.  I usually eat 2 eggs for breakfast.

* Do not eat any fruit after 2pm.  These are considered carbs too.

* Avoid alcohol and sugar.

* Drink green tea.

* Eat slowly.

* Drink eight 240 ml (1cup) glasses of pure water a day.

* Exercise at least 17 minutes a day.  I usually do a powerwalk in the morning for 30 mins and then the elliptical for 30 mins after walk.  I avoid attending the usual Body Step and Zumba classes during this cycle because I know I'll be lightheaded half way through the class.

I must warn you that during my first try of this cycle, I've had nasty headaches.  It must be my body's reaction while craving for the usual carbs and morning coffee and cream.  After a week, it subsided.

On my next post, I will share with you my meal plan for the next work week.  We can do this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment